Jonathan T. Hine Jr.
Translations from Italian into English
PO Box 4623
Charlottesville, Virginia 22905-4623 USA
Go to: Summary Personal Data Résumé Research & Publication
Book-length (fiction and non-fiction) translations enhanced by professional writing and editorial experience with deep background in financial management, engineering, and public administration.
- Especially skilled at translating financial, commercial and legal material with a high-tech context
- Experienced in a wide range of scientific and military applications
- Recent work includes books on energy economics, industrial archaeology, combat aircraft, early childhood education, and small business accounting and management.
Go to Top of Page
- Languages: Italian (R5, S4), French (R3, S3), Spanish (work experience). Scores: Army Language Aptitude Battery (1979) -55/59; Defense Language Aptitude Battery (1985) -- 130 (98 percentile); FBI Foreign Language Battery (Fr/It/Eng) passed 1995. ATA-certified (I-E).
- Education: HS Notre Dame International (Rome, Italy) 1965, US Naval Academy 1969 (major in Italian, minor in International Affairs), Master of Public Administration, University of Oklahoma, 1982. Ph.D., University of Virginia 2000.
- Personal: Native Virginian. Twenty-six years living and working overseas, nineteen years in Mediterranean/Mideast 1959-1988, 2013-2015
- Memberships: American Translators Association (ATA), the National Capital Area Translators Association (NCATA), the American Literary Translation Association (ALTA), and the American Translation and Interpreting Studies Association (ATISA).
- Experience: Freelance translator since 1962; freelance writer since 1984; escort interpreter (Italian-English) since 1960. Researcher and evaluator in translator education since 1998.
Go to Top of Page
Data Processing & Communications:
- Microsoft hardware, running Windows 10 and Office 365.
- Déjà Vu X3 with TMX and Trados/SDLX conversion
Go to Top of Page
1. Translation & Interpreting -
- Literary and commercial translator (1961-present).
- Escort interpreter, Italian-English (1960-present).
- Contract linguist, US Dept of State (2004-present)
- Contract linguist, FBI (1998-2005)
- Independent contractor, Joint Publications Research Service (1989-1992)
- Project officer for bilateral initiatives between US and French Naval War Colleges (1988-1989)
- Supreme Allied Commander, Europe (SACEUR) and Allied Forces Southern Europe (AFSOUTH) observer: EUROGROUP Naval Logistics Working Group (1986-1988)
- AFSOUTH observer: US/Italian Joint Planning Commission negotiations, London (1986)
- Intelligence Officer, USS WH STANDLEY and Commander Task Unit 60.2.9 (1975-1976); Command Interpreter
- Translator and Command Interpreter for Commander U.S. Sixth Fleet (1972-1974);
2. Teaching -
- Instructor, Text Revision and Technical Translation, James Madison University (2000 – 2003)
- Workshops for language professionals in business practices (1995 - present)
- Tutor adult English students in Naples, Italy (1986-1988)
- Computer systems operation instructor, AFSOUTH (1986-1988)
- Business writing and English composition instructor, AFSOUTH (1986-1988)
- Substitute instructor, Systems Engineering, Tidewater Comm. Coll., Virginia Beach VA (1984)
- Taught electronic propagation, anomalous meteorology and naval operations to US Air Force surveillance personnel in Saudi Arabia (1982)
3. Military & Government Affairs -
- Campaign analyst, U.S. Naval War College, Newport RI (1988-1989)
- Staff, Commander-in-Chief, AFSOUTH (1986-1988)
- AFSOUTH observer: NATO Maritime Stockpile Planning Conference (1986-1988)
- Expert staff: NATO Force Requirements Study (1986-1988)
- Comptroller, FCDSSA Dam Neck (U.S. Navy's computer programming center) (1983-1986)
- Commander Navy Task Force representative to Royal Saudi Air Force, Riyadh (1982)
- U.S. Navy-designated area specialist, Middle East (1982)
- Staff, Commander-in-Chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet and Staff, Commander, Naval Logistics Command, Pacific Fleet (1979-1981)
- Combat systems overhaul manager, USS REEVES, in Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard (1977-1979)
- U.S. Navy-designated area specialist, Southern Europe & North Africa (1971)
Go to Top of Page
Research & Publication:
Jonathan Hine's work has appeared in newspapers and magazines with a combined print circulation of more than 6 million. He is the author of Translator Education in the United States: A study of introductory classrooms in three mid-Atlantic Universities, and I Am Worth It!, Are You Bilingual? Published articles have appeared in Multilingual Computing, translationzone.com, ATA Chronicle, CATI Quarterly, Capital Translator, SRA Journal, OFF DUTY, Family, Panorama, the U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, the Naval War College Review and the ATA Scholarly Monograph Series. Current research includes cost analysis models for small firms and freelancers, and the evaluation of translator education programs in the United States. He presents papers on professional topics at Conferences of the ATA and other meetings of language professionals. He translated the Italian correspondence for the The Papers of Thomas Jefferson: the Retirement Series. Recent books translated include ADEA PRISME: Program and Project Information System on Education (Association for the Development of Education in Africa, Paris, 1999), and Man Is Different, by Don Zeno di Nomadelfia, with Emily Adkins (Nomdelfia Foundation, 2002), Beyond the Age of Oil by Leonardo Maugeri (Praeger, 2010), Schio: Industrial Archeology by Bernadetta Ricci (Sassi Editore 2013), Combat Aircraft, by Riccardo Niccoli (White Star, 2016),and How to Talk to Children about ISIS (Erickson, 2016).
Send e-mail to Jonathan Hine at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Return to: the Home Page
Go to: Top of Page
Current update: 1-January-2018
Page written and maintained by Jonathan Hine, © 2018, Scriptor Services LLC