Scriptor Services LLC is a one-person shop. I am an author and translator living in North America and Europe. I grew up in Italy, and Rome is my hometown. After a 24-year naval career in cruisers and destroyers, I spent ten years at the University of Virginia as Administrator of the Physics Department then Director of Housing (Management Services). I left the University in 2000 with a PhD, to focus full-time on translating and writing.
My fiction spans genres of travel, adventure, and mystery. All my books are available in electronic form or print. Find them at https://jthine.com/books/.
Non-fiction includes self-help booklets for freelancers and career-changers. My past work has appeared in newspapers and magazines with a combined print circulation of more than 6 million. Here is a partial list:
- I Am Worth It! How to set your price and other tips for freelancers.
- Are You Bilingual? Enjoy making it pay.
- Translator Education in the United States: A study of introductory classrooms in three mid-Atlantic Universities,
- Articles in Multilingual Computing, translationzone.com, ATA Chronicle, CATI Quarterly, Capital Translator, SRA Journal, OFF DUTY, Family, Panorama, the U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, the Naval War College Review and the ATA Scholarly Monograph Series.
- Papers on professional topics at Conferences of the ATA and other meetings of language professionals.
- The Italian correspondence in the The Papers of Thomas Jefferson: the Retirement Series (Princeton University Press, 2004-).
- ADEA PRISME: Program and Project Information System on Education (Association for the Development of Education in Africa, Paris, 1999)
- Man Is Different, by Don Zeno di Nomadelfia, with Emily Adkins (Nomdelfia Foundation, 2002)
- Beyond the Age of Oil by Leonardo Maugeri (Praeger, 2010)
- Schio: Industrial Archeology by Bernadetta Ricci (Sassi Editore 2013)
- Combat Aircraft, by Riccardo Niccoli (White Star, 2016)
- How to Talk to Children about ISIS (Erickson, pending).